- Eligibility Any person under the age of 21 on the postmark date of their application is eligible for Youth Membership in the American Dairy Goat Association.
- Requirements ADGA Youth Members pay the same discount rates as regular members for the processing of work under their membership name and can register their own personal herd name for naming animals of their breeding. Consecutive years as a Youth Member can be applied toward requirements for a Life Membership. Youth Members are not eligible to vote for Directors. An updated ADGA Guidebook is provided to Youth Members annually. Those Youth Members who pay their membership dues before March 1 each year are listed in the annual Membership Directory. Primary Youth Members receive a free copy of the directory.
- Membership Kit After you have been enrolled as a Youth Member, you will receive a membership kit which will include several forms, brochures and booklets.
- Youth Activities Committee ADGA’s Youth Activities Committee promotes and coordinates youth activities for the Association at the Annual Convention and National Show. Any ADGA member may volunteer for a position on this committee.
- Youth Showmanship Youth Showmanship is offered at the ADGA National Show, which is held at a different location each year. There are four divisions: Junior (up to age 10); Intermediate 1 (ages 11-13); Intermediate 2 (ages 14-16); and Senior (ages 17-20). Exhibitors are not required to own the animal that is shown.
- Showmanship Certificates Showmanship Certificates are awarded to winners of showmanship contests at ADGA sanctioned shows across the nation. A showmanship report form must be completed and signed by the show chairperson and licensed ADGA Judge of the show.
- Youth Fitting Competition A Youth Fitting Competition is held annually at the National Show and involves team effort to groom animals within a thirty minute period.
- Youth Representative Contest The ADGA Youth Representative Contest is held at the Annual Convention and is open to any youth 16 through 20 years of age. The contestants are judged on personality, knowledge, leadership and experience with dairy goats. The youth selected ADGA Representative represents the Association at the National Show and Annual Convention
- Dairy Goat Shows The following types of dairy goat shows are sanctioned by ADGA just for youth: 4-H (restricts exhibitors to members of 4-H groups; FFA (restricts exhibitors to members of Future Farmers of America), Open Youth (restricts its exhibitors to persons under 21 years of age). Winners at these shows receive ADGA rosettes and animals who meet specified conditions of competition earn “legs” toward permanent CH or GCH status (see ADGA Guidebook for explanation of show rules).
- Premier Youth Exhibitor This prestigious award is presented to an outstanding youth exhibitor at the ADGA National Show. Points are accumulated from placings at all the events offered for the youth. Animals must be registered in the youth exhibitor’s name to qualify.
- Scholarships Several scholarships are offered annually through the ADGA Helen Staver Foundation (adgastaverfoundation.org). A scholarship is also offered to assist youth in attending the convention.
- Performance Programs The goal of ADGA’s Linear Appraisal program is to provide the dairy goat breeder with an increased awareness of proven sires that transmit strong traits to their offspring. The system evaluates individual type traits that affect structural and functional durability. A special circumstance is applied for youth members who request to transport their animals to the location of the host herd, and must have permission of the host. Production Testing is one of the most valuable management record-keeping systems available to the dairy goat owner. Milk and butterfat production, herd and individual lactation information, plus breeding data, make up this comprehensive management information program for your dairy herd improvement. Youth with qualifying animals may apply for recognition on the Youth Production Testing Doe Honor Roll.
Become an ADGA Youth Member now by choosing an “Individual” and then “Individual Youth” member for $10/year. Apply for ADGA Youth Membership >>